Swansea Vineyards is located in Shiloh, New Jersey, a
small borough in Cumberland County which was founded on agriculture.
Shiloh is known for its good people as well as for its beautiful
fruit orchards, farms and nurseries and plentiful supply of fresh
Swansea Vineyards honors the strength and determination of the
founding mothers and fathers of this community, who celebrated
freedom of choice and respected the rights of every individual long
before those rights were protected under the United States
The Swansea name honors the early settlers who migrated to the area
from Massachusetts to enjoy religious freedom. Swansea,
Massachusetts was first settled in 1663, and was named for Swansea,
Wales which was the hometown of many of the original settlers. Soon
after the town was settled, the first Baptist church in
Massachusetts relocated there after experiencing religious
intolerance from local Puritans. These Welsh Baptists played a
prominent role in the early history of Shiloh, NJ.
In the late 1600ís, part of the Reverend John Myles' company from
Swansea, Massachusetts came to the Cohansey settlement in Southern
New Jersey. They built a log meeting house in the area of Bowentown,
NJ, where they held organized church services, with the Reverend
Timothy Brooks, Jr. serving as pastor. In 1718, many of these
Seventh Day Baptists relocated to the tract of land now known as
Shiloh, which was owned by Caleb Ayars. The name Shiloh was not
given to the town until about 1771.
860 Main Street
Shiloh, NJ 08353
PHONE: (856) 453-5778
FAX: (856) 453-5778
Please drink responsibly!
©2007, 2008 Swansea Vineyards ~
Page Last Updated 12/06/08